|Mile High Tower|
|Location||Jeddah, Saudi Arabia|
|Antenna or spire||1,600 m (5,280 ft)|
|Architect(s)||Omrania and Associates, Pickard Chilton|
|Structural engineer||Hyder Consulting, Arup|
|Owner||Kingdom Holding Company|
The Mile-High Tower (Arabic: برج الميل) is a skyscraper proposed for construction in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. At 1 mile (1,600 m; 5,280 ft) tall it could be the tallest building ever built. The US$13.6 billion project, the centerpiece of a planned community near the coast, is being proposed by Al-Waleed bin Talal’s Riyadh-based Kingdom Holding Company.
According to current plans, the Mile High Tower’s architect will be Omrania and Associates, in collaboration with U.S. company Pickard Chilton. UK firm Hyder Consulting have been selected as engineering consultants for the project, in conjunction with Arup. The tower could be constructed by Bechtel, though Bechtel’s continued involvement has been questioned.
Recent reports suggested that the project had been put on hold due to the global economic crisis and that Bechtel was “in the process of ending its involvement with the project”. Kingdom Holdings Company quickly criticised the news reports, insisting that the project has not been shelved.
In May 2008, after soil testing in the area cast doubt over whether the proposed location could support a skyscraper of significant height, MEED reported that the project has been scaled back, making it “up to 500 meters shorter”.
|Rokod bangunan tertinggi di dunia
1. Burj Dubai di Dubai (+/- 800 m) . . . . . . selesai tahun 2008
2. Freedom Tower di New York (+/- 541 m) . . . . . selesai tahun 2009
3. Taipei 101 di Taiwan (+/- 509 m) . . . . . tahun 2004
4. Shanghai World Finance Center di China (+/- 492 m) . . . tahun 2007
5. Petronas Tower di Malaysia (+/- 452 m) . . . . tahun 1998
6. Sears Tower di Chicago (+/- 442 m) . . . . tahun 1974
7. Jin Mao Tower di China (+/- 421 m) . . . . tahun 1999
8. World Trade Center di New York (+/- 417 m) . . . . tahun 1972 / 73
9. Two International Finance Center di Hongkong (+/- 415 m) . . . tahun 2003
10. Empire State Building di New York (+/- 381 m) . . . . tahun 1931
source : Burj Mubarak al-Kabir in Kuwait will be the tallest building in the world and wikipedia